Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Worst Ref in NCAA History

A questionable blocking call was made in the final two minutes of the Winthrop-ND game, and the ref with the worst view made it. You can argue either way, but what isn't a surprise is that if one official was going to make that call, insert himself into the game, who else would it be than Ted Valentine?

Ted Valentine cost IU a semi-final game over Duke in 1992, which could have led to an easy Championship win, since the Dukies went on to embarrass Kansas in a blowout. The following are quotes for Coach Knight's book about Teddie.

"I like and respected a lot of guys. But my favorite was Charlie Fouty. And there's no question who's at the other end of that list; my least favorite. I have as little respect for Ted Valentine as any person I've ever known. I'll always feel he took an NCAA semifinal game away from us in 1992 at Minnesota, making our kids pay when- I don't think there's any question about it- he used me to gain recognition for himself."

"I'll stand by my comment: the way that guy worked that game was the greatest travesty I've ever seen by an official. And the three technical fouls- the first was absurd, the second even the Big Ten said should not have been called, and, because it meant ejection, it lead directly to the third."

It boggles the mind that a such an biased ref who is only looking to insert himself on the big stage than the kids who earned their way their with hardwork, get screwed. My guess is Teddie was always picked last in gym.

Big H

No comments: