Sunday, January 7, 2007

My Brother from another Mother

Some of the readers of my blog may not know this about me, but in addition to my older sister I have an older brother named Gabe. Gabe is not biologically related to my family, but is closer to me and my family than actual blood relatives. Gabe also blogs and I have added his link to my page, Progressive Republican. Gabe is a great writer with a sharp political mind and satirical streak in him that would have made him a great writer for SNL. His current post is on Sen. Bryd's antics at the recent Senate swearing in ceremony where he may have been drunk. Sen. Kennedy actually made fun of his antics, which is saying a lot because One More Teddy is probably the biggest lush in the world.

This post reminded me of my own Senate drinking stories. During the summer of 1996, I interned on Capital Hill working for the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee. It was a very large committee and one of the senior Democratic members was Sen. Wendell Ford of Kentucky. Sen. Ford served in the Senate for 24 years after serving as the Governor of Kentucky. One of my various duties was to bring coffee and water to the members before and during committee meetings. On one of my first days there, Sen. Ford asked me for a coffee cup full of Bourbon and a spoon. Because CSPAN was there and drinking from a high ball glass would have been unprofessional. No I am not suggesting that he was a drunk, far from it, he probably just needed a little pick me up to get through a boring meeting.

Big H

1 comment:

Gabe Mydland said...

Brother Man!

Back at you dude! My relationship with you and your family has always been from the top drawer even if Momma always has liked you best. There have been plenty of laughs over the years and many more to come. Strap yourself in, its going to be a heckofa ride.